How to appeal a decision made by the DWP

If you don’t agree with the decision you have a right to appeal.

First you have to write or call to the DWP and ask them to look at the decision again. They call this a mandatory reconsideration. You have to do this within one month of receiving the decision.

If you are calling make sure you take the name of the person you have spoken to.

The letter you get will be similar to this:


The telephone number and address are at the top of the page.

What happens next?

The decision will be looked at again and you will receive a ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ telling you whether the decision’s been changed.

If the decision is not changed or you are still not happy with the new decision you can appeal to the tribunal within one month of the date of your mandatory reconsideration notice. It will look similar to this


How to do this.

You have to complete the form SSCS1 and send with a copy of your ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ to the address on the form. (For representation seek advice from a GEMAP advisor)

SSCS1 Notice of appeal against a decision of the Department for Work and Pensions

You should use this form to appeal against a decision made by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about social security benefits. Download HERE

I would like to discuss this with a GEMAP advisor