Affordable Warmth Dividend Guidance


What is the Affordable Warmth Dividend?

The Affordable Warmth Dividend is a £100 payment made by the Council to Glasgow residents who are 80 years of age and older on or before 31st March 2017 to keep warm during winter.

Who can apply for the dividend?

To receive the payment you must be 80 years of age or over by 31st March 2017 and living in Glasgow.  If you will be 80 years of age before 31st March 2017 you can make the application now.

How long will the scheme be available?

Applications will be accepted from 31October 2016 until 31 March 2017.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications received after this date.

How can I make an application?

Application forms are available on the Council’s website at or from your local Revenues and Benefits Centre or by phoning 0141 287 7961.

If you want to post in your application please return it to:

Glasgow City Council
P.O. Box 36
G1 1JE

How will applications be processed?

Staff at your local Revenues and Benefits Centre will decide if your claim meets the qualifying conditions.

If you do not fill in your application properly it will not be accepted. It is important you bring along or send evidence to support your claim. Any evidence mailed in will be returned immediately by recorded delivery mail.

How will payments be made?

The preferred method of payment is by BACS directly into your Bank Account, although payments can also be made by cheque.

When will the payment be made?

The Council will aim to make a payment to you in the month after we receive your application.

What evidence is needed to support your claim?

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to supply any evidence to support your claim.  If you do not receive either of these, you will need to supply proof of your date of birth and proof of your residency in Glasgow.  Examples of proof include:

a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions that includes both your address and date of birth
birth certificate
driving licence
utilities bill, bank statement or similar documents confirming residency at a given address
pension award letter that contains date of birth

If you cannot provide the above evidence but have other documents that confirm your age and your address, please take them to your local Revenues and Benefits Centre.  Or you can post them with your application and the claim will be considered.

Is the claim limited to one person in a household?

No. Anyone who meets the criteria can apply including those living in residential homes and hospitals.

Can someone apply on my behalf?

Yes, someone can apply on your behalf if you write their details in the section at the bottom of the form.

You can either fill in the rest of the form or ask your nominated person to do it for you.  You should still sign and date the form.

Where can I find out more information?

You can get more information from our website at Or phone 0141 287 7961 or visit any local Revenues and Benefits Centre or the City Centre Service Desk at 45 John Street.